Monday, January 26, 2009

Still Not Enough

Saturday, at 10 a.m., my friend came along with me to assist in the preparation and distribution of sac lunches to Everett's homeless community. Because of the latest salmonella scare, Sharon bought lunch meat rather than peanut butter and jam, and we were also blessed by the Vineyard church members, a married couple, who showed up bearing gifts of egg salad, 3 more loaves of bread, and fruit leather snacks. This gave us much more food than we had originally started with. We split up into groups of threes and I drove our group down to the mission, where many of our homeless men will either stay, or attempt to stay at, especially in such bitterly cold conditions as we've had. There was no chatting with these men, as the 3 big bags full of lunches were gone in just seconds of arriving. There was still not enough food for two more men that didn't beat the "lunch rush", but I don't know that there really ever is. I believe that whatever efforts are contributed to helping another person is meaningful. Big or small. Responding when a person asks you a question, taking a friend out to lunch, offering to be a part of something without being asked, as my friend did. These are all meaningful acts of kindness. We can all successfully contribute to our surroundings and make an impact.

4 comments:

  1. It just seems there's never enough doesn't it? You just want to take care of everyone. I find it heartbreaking that in our society, there are still people that go hungry. Great job Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! Reading your post reminded me of a time when I too handed out sandwhiches to the homeless. A few years back my youth group at the time whent into the heart of Vancoover. Handing out sandwhiches really helps open up your eyes and reminds us how much we take life for granted having a roof over our heads and for most of us three meals a day. I am glad to hear you are enjoying this learning experience and I am looking forward to hearing from you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather,
    How great to be able to bless people in this way. Could you say a bit more about the organization/group that you are going out to do this with? And also how you find the people to give the food to, etc. I think it'd really benefit everyone to know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Phebe, I had posted the specific information you asked for underneath the title Today's a New Day, located on the top of my page, though I can see that it is a little hard to read. I'll post it again under my blog so the text pops a little more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete