Monday, February 23, 2009

Another Day, Another Lesson

As I near the end of my service obligation with the Vineyard Church, making and passing out sac lunches, I reflect on the four Saturday mornings I have spent there. The privilege I have felt in working with Sharon, the church members, fellow students and the community in which we've been serving, has almost matched the feelings of personal growth that I have experienced. I have specifically been able to assess my interactions, as well as my reactions, toward people that I have worked with. I often have a difficult time when working with others, as I can take quick offense to suggestions that come my way. Such a situation occurred this past Saturday when it was suggested to me that I change my approach in how I was offering up our sac lunches. Initially I felt irritated, though I bit my tongue, which was growth for me in and of itself and then I brought it up with Sharon. I feel that she gave me sound advice in suggesting that I asked the homeless people that I have been working with how they would like to be approached or if the way in which I was offering them lunches was offensive or okay. And who better to find out this answer than to ask the people in which I am dealing with?
After having this discussion I felt the hotness that had flooded my cheeks leave. I believe that this service learning experience will benefit my personal life, as well as my future career as a nurse, and I am hopeful that I will continue being a part of service. For me, learning how to "behave" is still a work in progress. Working in a group setting has aloud me to inch forward a little more in my personal growth. By not reacting in defensiveness and anger, I eventually allowed another view to be relevant and helpful for another chance to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment